Gilbert, Arizona has grown rapidly over the last 35 years. In 1980, Gilbert’s population was just 6,000. Today Gilbert has 250,000 and is still growing. It is a clean, safe, vibrant community with great schools, parks, and a “small town feel” that people embrace. With the fast-paced population growth, comes a tremendous rise in new residents from outside the Gilbert area.
There is a new opportunity to create a legacy of our community’s rich heritage while instilling Gilbert’s unique sense of Town pride that comes as we approach our 100th anniversary. However, despite the population growth and investment in the Town of Gilbert, there is a severe lack of a hub that promotes arts and culture in a community the size of Gilbert.
for Renovation and Expansion
Fueled by the vision and leadership of its Board of Directors and staff, and by its location at the south entrance to the Heritage District, the Gilbert Historical Society (GHS) is perfectly positioned to serve as the catalyst to offer innovative programming as well as unique and stimulating spaces for Gilbert’s cultural, entertainment and life-long learning.
Providing the inspiration and guidance for a future center is a natural extension of the role that GHS plays as one of the town’s few cultural attractions for visitors and residents.
Create communities where all generations know, trust,and care for one another.
Gilbert Historical Society is the vibrant cornerstone of an intergenerational community that celebrates the past, inspires unity of all people, and cultivates life-enriching collaboration.
- to be STEWARDS OF HISTORY
- to remain INCLUSIVE OF ALL PEOPLE
- to maintain and create programming for BRIDGING GENERATIONS, and
- to become a CATALYST FOR CONNECTION
$2 million – includes renovations, new construction, and infrastructure
The Gilbert Historical Society is poised for the future as the beginning of the new hub of Gilbert – a new arts and culture center. It includes investments in the current site and facilities at the Gilbert Historical Museum; and continued development and expansion of intergenerational programs, classes, community events, and educational and cultural activities. The calendar of classes and events will be expanded to meet the varied and on-going interests of residents, and to draw tourists to spend time and dollars in Gilbert.
Our Capital Campaign includes:
- Preservation of the current Gilbert Historical Museum, a 100+ year old building on the National Register of Historic Places, the only one in Gilbert
- Remodeling of some existing exhibit spaces in the current museum to accommodate programs
- Construction of a single-story, multi-purpose building in the courtyard space of the museum to serve for programs, exhibits, and rentals
- Redesigned and upgraded courtyard to serve as a space for outdoor entertainment, classes, and as a beautiful facility for rentals including weddings, meetings, etc.
- Opportunity to host community events
- Opportunities for future innovative partnerships for arts and culture programming
How you can help
To-date, $1.3 million has been raised towards the $2 million needed. On Feb. 29, 2020, the community phase of this campaign was launched. You will be hearing more about this project in the months to come, but YOUR help is needed to get us over the top so construction can begin this fall. Follow us on social media and refer back to the website for future opportunities to get involved.
But right now, you can purchase a commemorative brick for yourself, your business, or in memory or honor of someone else. Just use the link below to secure your brick. Or you can make a general donation to the campaign on the same form.
There are also naming opportunities for major gifts. For more information on those, please contact us at email@example.com or by calling 480-926-1577.